Our wedding was just over three months ago and I feel like I am still debriefing myself (clearly a sign of someone who was in AmeriCorps!). The wedding, and whole weekend, was nothing short of magic. At the bottom of this entry you will find a link to the pictures from our photographer, with some favorites sprinkled in!
David and I took some time and thought about the whole weekend and wrote down “Memories, Moments, and Feelings”. We often keep journals or superlatives while we travel, and we wanted to have everything from the weekend written down so we could remember and hold on to it.
- Singing around the campfire on Friday night, with David and Chris somehow turning Santeria by Sublime into some kind of ballad
- Doing archery on Saturday morning and looking around at our family and friends all there and being so happy to have everyone together and doing something fun. Alice & Amy win slow dances with Jenny by getting bulls eyes (though they never take up their prizes). Dan impressively shoots through an apple target on his first try.
- The whole wedding party walking together down the path in the woods toward the wedding ceremony. It felt perfect, fun, and exactly what we wanted. David and I were in the back holding hands, and all of us excitedly walking together before quieting down and getting in order for the ceremony.
- For me (Jenny), walking in to the ceremony with my parents and immediately choking up, overcome with emotion. And my dad leaning over and saying “keep it together!”
- The entire ceremony was like we were floating – relaxed, excited, happy, in the moment, and emotional. We wrote it ourselves, but we forgot about some parts until they happened!
- Riding away from the ceremony and seeing our dj and him saying “Oh hey guys! What are you doing?” “We just got married!!”. Then riding further into the woods and it being just the two of us, quiet, peaceful and beautiful.
- Riding back into the cocktail hour and seeing so many people we knew were coming but we hadn’t seen yet and don’t see often (Dianne, Fish, Brian & Erin, Amanda..and many more!). It was overwhelming and exciting to see all our guests – all our friends and family, all there for us!
- Our first dance, to Our Song by Elton John, was probably the pinnacle of the magic. There we were, married, looking beautiful, dancing in a beautiful setting with glimmering lights to a beautiful song. While everyone was there and watching, we felt like it was just the two of us in our own magical world. It was so fun and perfect.
- Dancing with our parents (with Dolores wanting to learn to do spins after watching us dance) and secretly transitioning into In Your Wildest Dreams by the Moody Blues, a song for which my dad and I used to watch the music video while playing cards when I was a kid.
- The most epic “skanking” dance party! “Skanking” is a type of dance move, usually done to ska music – sort of like running man meets aerobics. We had all our family and friends doing this crazy high energy dance to Reel Big Fish’s Sell Out, and it was awesome.
- Starting off dessert with an unintentionally, perfectly timed song dedicated to David from me – Your Love is Better than Icecream (if you were there and had our brownie icecream sundaes, you know that’s a pretty bold statement!).
- Getting sat down for our families to perform a special dance for us, The Wobble, which we at first thought was some sort of Bollywood dance. It was awesome.
- The very last song of the night was Home, which is one of my favorite songs, and fit into a message from our ceremony – “home is wherever I’m with you”. The remaining people created a circle on the dance floor and David and I danced together, much like our first dance but with more energy and more playful. We high-fived every one in the circle and simply glowed in happiness. And, I did a cartwheel in the middle of the dance floor in my wedding dress.
Here is a link to the pictures from our photographer. Enjoy!
And, thank you to everyone who came to the wedding. You truly made it magic and perfect!